Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Squirrel's Nut Cache - 3/4/09

The Nut Cache - a collection of recent things I found interesting, or amusing, or noteworthy.

Turns out that I've got a home-town connection to the late radio great, Paul Harvey. KGVO is the talk station that I listen to Rush on everyday. Small world, huh? (BTW, Peter Christian is a great guy, with one of the all time radio voices out there. He is very outspoken about his faith in Jesus.)

OK, I'm really hopping this guy is a false prophet. I really, really don't want to see America collapse and break apart. I know this world will end, and that America, like every other geo-political entity formed by man, is only temporary, but I remember how fast the Soviet Union went down. You've got to admit he has a point in this quote -- "Panarin argued that Americans are in moral decline, saying their great psychological stress is evident from school shootings, the size of the prison population and the number of gay men."

Let me see if I got this right: A student gives a speech, in a speech class, about how allowing students so licensed to carry concealed weapons on collage campuses would make the campuses safer, so his professor calls the cops on him? You can't make this stuff up!
UPDATE:If you are going to be armed, on a collage campus or anywhere, please know what you are doing!

This makes me very sad. Of all the things that I see in modern America, the devaluation of purity has to top my list. This young woman is only a few years older than my daughter. Please pray that God will redeam her and that she will come to her senses before she does this to herself.

I've reached the age where all the cops look like kids. Turns out I was right!




And this story just does loads to help my confidence in Law Enforcement. Actually, I think the NYPD has made the right move, here. Actually, what I'm not confident of is the quality of religious instruction he received at whatever church he was attending.


When I was a supervisor, I used to have a rule about emergencies. I would tell my employees that, "An emergency is any situation that involves a police car, fire truck, ambulance, or a hearse. Anything else is just an inconvenience." I guess someone should have had that talk with this lady...

And on a happy note, the eagle is gonna be just fine! When I was driving truck, I hit a duck, once. As it happened, the duck stayed on the outside of the window. But it was loud! I love the quote -- "The guys in the truck immediately bailed out because it was one ticked off bird. She was pretty feisty," Doucette said. "Even the officer who responded didn't want to go in there so we had one of our wildlife biologists do it."