Monday, March 30, 2009

The Disturbing Case of Peter Popoff

Peter Popoff is one of the most well documented cases of fraud in the faith healing business. Check this out:


video

He is not alone in his fraud: According to Wikipedia, in 2003, Fox station WAGA showed that W. V. Grant called on and "healed" staff members planted in the audience. James Randi profiled several of the most prominent faith healers in his book The Faith Healers.



OK, there are frauds out there, and that is disturbing, if not very surprising. But what disturbs me more is the fact that, when I searched for sources for documentation of fraud in faith healing, most of the sources are decidedly anti-Christian. James Randi is an outspoken critic of all religions, failing to notice that humanism is a religion.) Humanist organizations are also prominent in documenting such frauds, and Richard Dawkins' website contained critiques. Those who oppose and deny Biblical Christianity are more then happy to use these frauds to discredit the Name of Jesus!

My question is, "Where are the Christians working to expose these false teachers?"

I'm not saying that there aren't any Christian leaders speaking out, of course there are. What I am saying is that there should be more. Many more.
post signature

16 comments:

Aaron said...

It is interesting that athiests spend so much time debunking Christianity. A fraud appears and these guys are all over it. You'd think if they were truly athiestic, then they'd hardly give a rat's backside.

The Squirrel said...

Well, we know that they aren't really athiests. They are slaves to sin, sons of the devil, who are at war with God.

"This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. "For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed."
(John 3:19-20 NASB)

The Squirrel

Joshua Cookingham said...

Thank God for Pyromaniacs then....:)

Fred Butler said...

Justin Peters

Aaron said...

Squirrel: Right! And then there is Romans 1:21 and 22.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Good grief. What a snake-oil huckster. (Popoff)

If you send him money you ought to revoke your right to vote.

Yikes.

Aaron said...

If only that were possible. We might actually get conservatives in office then!

VcdeChagn said...

You've read Charismatic Chaos by MacArthur, right?

Aaron said...

I haven't. I may ask my Pastor if he has it. I need to start borrowing books rather than buying them.

The Squirrel said...

Aaron,

If your pastor does not have a copy, you can download the audio series free from Grace to You. You can also download the transcripts of the sermons as .pdf files. The book is just the sermons edited into book form, so you can save yourself some money that way.

The book is also available from Grace to You in paperback for about 5 bucks.

(My daughter still has my copy, I’ll have to ask her if she’s done…)

~Squirrel

The Squirrel said...

I don't know why those links are broken. I'll try again.

If this doesn't work, it is "www.gty.org"
Grace to You

Aaron said...

I may listen to the audio. I have a tough time reading MacArthur's books precisely because they are sermons edited into a book format. I find that approach to be schizophrenic.

I do already know that MacArthur is a cessationist, which I lean towards myself (although I'm not dogmatic about it).

The Squirrel said...

Aaron,

(-: Guess you shouldn't read any Luther, or Calvin, or Spurgeon either. Their books were written the same way.

~Squirrel

Aaron said...

Except I think they wrote their own stuff. MacArthur's sermons are recorded or notes are used, then Phil basically edits them into books. For whatever reason I just don't care for most of his books. I don't have any such problems with Calvin or Luther. Spurgeon on the other hand, I tend to just read his sermons and haven't read any of his books. It goes without saying that I don't agree with 100% of any of them, although I suppose I only disagree 1% of the time.

Just a personal preference I guess.

The Squirrel said...

Aaron,

I understand, that's why there was a big smiley at the front of that paragraph.

BTW, if you can, take a look at Spurgeon's raw sermon transcripts (I think they might be on line, I saw photos in a book a while back.) He had three or four guys writing down everything that he said while he preached (as there was no recording technology.) He took those transcripts and edited them together, then massively edited the resulting composite.

It would be fun, if we could, to listen to him preach & compare it to the “sermons” that have been published.

~Squirrel

Aaron said...

not to mention, if they are accurate. These guys must have known shorthand...LOL. Although, I guess preaching is a bit slower than normal conversation.