Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Auto-echtomy

The Automobile has been removed from the back wall of the garage, and the repairs of the garage have begun. All in all, it looks like everything is headed for a happy ending.

Here's a good picture showing the bracing to keep the roof from collapsing. The wall that the car drove through is a bearing wall that supports the garage roof, so this was important to do.

Here you can see the cables from the tow truck to the car. We are ready for extraction.

Here is the tank commander with her tank. She got the car back from the shop today, no major damage, just some dents and scrapes! The cracked windshield will be replaced on Friday.

Here is a picture of the hole after the car has been removed. Mom and I discussed that this would actually be a real nice place for a picture window...

The contractors (Greg McCue, McCue Construction, Missoula MT) quickly got the new wall framed in and sheeted. The electrician will be here Thursday to replace the outside light and the wall outlet.

And here's the outside, ready for the installation of siding.

post signature

9 comments:

Rabbit said...

I keep thinking about this and, you know, of all the places her brakes could have failed...

Praise the good Lord. :) Glad to hear everything is well on the way to fully repaired!

Craig and Heather said...

Wow! That's fast!

Craig

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Ya got some good people there, Mr. Squirrel, that's pretty fast work!

And, uh... how about her brakes?

Julie

PS Rabbit, I was thinking the same as you, having had a brake-failure experience myself.

The Squirrel said...

Near as I can figure, here's what happened. She'd had a flat tire earlier in the day, and had called AAA to have it changed (being in a dress.) The tow truck driver set the e-brake while changing the tire.

Mandy never uses her e-brake, so did not check that it was released. She said it "felt funny," but attributed that to the spare tire, which is smaller then the normal tire. So she drove home with the e-brake on.

This caused the brakes to overheat and fail. Yes, Rabbit, we're very thankful that it happened where it did, and not at the top of a hill with lots of traffic at the bottom!

~Squirrel

Fred Butler said...

I am reminded of a story by the late Jerry Clower.

Btw, I saw that you are listening to those doctrines of grace messages. Thanks! And that's not even my best stuff.

The Squirrel said...

Fred,

The Jerry Clower story is a hoot! Thanks!

(And I've also listened to your KJVO stuff, and shared it with a member of my church who has a KJVO neighbor.)

So, what's your best stuff? :o)

~Squirrel

Herding Grasshoppers said...

No nut cache?

Well, no pressure. Glad you're working again :0)

(Not to mention busy with life's little surprises.)

Julie

Fred Butler said...

Well.

Back in the early 2000s, my friend Will comes to me and says, "Fred, can I record your devotional talks you give and put them on the internet?" And I says, "Okay."

It didn't occur to me until much later, after this internet thing was going, that many, many, many people listen (because they would send emails), so I became a tad more serious in my preparation, presentation, and post editing work. Those doctrines of grace messages reflect that period from before.

Μωσεύς said...

Does all the terrain look like this?