Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Squirrel's Nut Cache - 4/23/09

The Nut Cache - a collection of recent things I found interesting, or amusing, or noteworthy.

It's a smaller Nut Cache today, as I've been busy with other things. I'll try to do better next week. Honest.

First, Mount McKinley became Denali, then Peking became Beijing, now New Zealand is jumping on the “rename it to be politically correct” bandwagon. Come on, folks! It’s the North Island and the South Island. How do I know? Because that is what they are called in the bonus features of my Lord of the Rings DVDs.

It saddens me when I see someone I want to respect wearing a tin-foil hat. This is another case of “I don’t believe a snake talked, but I do believe that aliens seeded our planet.” These are intelligent, well educated people! This is what happens when someone abandons the truth and rejects a Biblical world view.

There’s a reason why we used to shoot ‘em! This is personal with me, as this dog was killed right across the street from my mother’s house! My daughter is living with my mother while she goes to college, and, now that the weather is warmer, likes to sit out on the lawn, reading and studying. My wife and I stay at my mother’s quite often, to save us fuel due to the 60 mile drive to our house every night. This isn’t out in the boonies! This is a populated semi-rural residential area, with kids and dogs and cats and horses inside the city limits. Wolves make poor neighbors, but they do make nice rugs.

I like a business that stands behind their product, even when that business is a sports team. Millions of fans will read this article, and will say, “Hey, that’s a good idea.” Then they will write the offices of their favorite team, demanding refunds for the overpriced tickets they’ve been buying losing season after losing season. Checks will be cut and mailed, people will spend the money on things they would otherwise not be able to purchase, leading to an increase in retail sales. Stores will have to hire new employees to meet the increased workload. The economy will be saved, all because losing sports teams take responsibility for their loses… Or not.

Well, that's it for this week's Nut Cache. Stop buy tomorrow for the debut of a brand new A Squirrel in Babylon feature!

post signature

11 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Good morning, Mr. Squirrel,

You've been busy, I see! Thanks for the morning laughs and eye rolls.

A WOLF in the neighborhood. Yikes. Although what with the victim being a Pomeranian-Chihuahua it's hard to feel too very bad...

Julie

Mrs. Squirrel said...

The wolf story came up in conversation with my sister last night. Her wildlife-biologist trained hubby suggest that this attack may have been more likely a coyote. According to him, wolves tend to take their kill with them. Coyotes tend to kill for fun. Not that it makes this situation any better. Wolves have been seen in the area... that's enough to be of concern in my book. Food is food.

[Although, I suppose a Pom-Chihuahua might only be snack-food. Or junk-food?]

Joshua Cookingham said...

Oh, that's sad. I love wolves.....

The wolf conservation society brought one to school today, a beautiful Alaskan wolf named Atka.

I'd imagine they're not as dangerous as coyotes, seeing as how the latter stay closer to humans and aren't as afraid.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Wolves have certainly been romanticized - for good and for evil. But a wolf is a much more realistic threat to humans... especially little humans.

They are beautiful, though :0)

Herding Grasshoppers said...

And what's this? A new feature on Friday?

You're going head-to-head with Dan's H and T and I'm going to be away from my computer... *sigh*

I'll have some catchin' up to do.

Julie

Rabbit said...

Nice cache. :)

Interesting that the poll questions in the astronaut article - do you believe extraterrestrials have visited earth (76% YES), do you believe the gummint is trying to cover it up (76% YES), and have you ever seen a UFO (75% NO)- are proof that people are perfectly willing to believe in something they've never seen and cannot prove.

Unless it's the God of the Bible.

Sir Aaron said...

I used to live in Chino Hills, CA. Coyotes have taken small children there. If you google you can find the stories. (I'd kill a coyote with my bare hands if it even got close to my child). Also living in various other areas in CA, I have had cats taken by coyotes (suspected at least). Coyotes usually kill for food.

Sir Aaron said...

There are a lot of animals hanging around this blog...

I don't weat a tinfoil hat...but does it count if I wear blinders to keep me from looking back in the event of fire and brimstone?

Sir Aaron said...

Come on rabbit. Everyone knows the government, which can't keep anything a secret, secretly does all kinds of bad things like concealing the existence of crashed spaceships, blowing up the world trace center, etc.

The Squirrel said...

Grasshoppers, Rabbits, and Squirrels -- Oh, My!

Rabbit - exactly so on the credulity of people. It's sad, but Scripture predicts it, Romans 1:21, for example.

Aaron - just keep Boston on your iPod, you'll be fine...

:)

~Squirrel

Sir Aaron said...

I don't have an Ipod or a Boston album...