Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Squirrel's Nut Cache - 4/23/09

The Nut Cache - a collection of recent things I found interesting, or amusing, or noteworthy.

It's a smaller Nut Cache today, as I've been busy with other things. I'll try to do better next week. Honest.

First, Mount McKinley became Denali, then Peking became Beijing, now New Zealand is jumping on the “rename it to be politically correct” bandwagon. Come on, folks! It’s the North Island and the South Island. How do I know? Because that is what they are called in the bonus features of my Lord of the Rings DVDs.

It saddens me when I see someone I want to respect wearing a tin-foil hat. This is another case of “I don’t believe a snake talked, but I do believe that aliens seeded our planet.” These are intelligent, well educated people! This is what happens when someone abandons the truth and rejects a Biblical world view.

There’s a reason why we used to shoot ‘em! This is personal with me, as this dog was killed right across the street from my mother’s house! My daughter is living with my mother while she goes to college, and, now that the weather is warmer, likes to sit out on the lawn, reading and studying. My wife and I stay at my mother’s quite often, to save us fuel due to the 60 mile drive to our house every night. This isn’t out in the boonies! This is a populated semi-rural residential area, with kids and dogs and cats and horses inside the city limits. Wolves make poor neighbors, but they do make nice rugs.

I like a business that stands behind their product, even when that business is a sports team. Millions of fans will read this article, and will say, “Hey, that’s a good idea.” Then they will write the offices of their favorite team, demanding refunds for the overpriced tickets they’ve been buying losing season after losing season. Checks will be cut and mailed, people will spend the money on things they would otherwise not be able to purchase, leading to an increase in retail sales. Stores will have to hire new employees to meet the increased workload. The economy will be saved, all because losing sports teams take responsibility for their loses… Or not.

Well, that's it for this week's Nut Cache. Stop buy tomorrow for the debut of a brand new A Squirrel in Babylon feature!

post signature