Monday, April 6, 2009

Is Roman Catholicism Christian? Part 1: An Introduction

(Update: Yeah, I know I said part 2 would be Tuesday. Sidetracked, sorry.)
So, somebody disagrees with me. So what?
All of us, in our human pride, don’t like it very much when somebody says that we’re wrong about something. You don’t like it, and I don’t like it. But I learned a long time ago the folly of running around defending everything that I say. It is, as they say, like trying to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time, and it annoys the pig.

At the same time, I try to be careful about what I say. I like to do my homework. I endeavor not to label opinion as fact, nor fact as opinion. I want to state, as clearly as I can, what I believe, and why I believe it.

If I do that to the best of my ability, then I’m usually content to let people disagree all they want. I know that no amount of argumentation will change somebody’s mind, if they are unwilling to be convinced otherwise.

But, sometimes, I just can’t let it go. I have no desire to participate in a full-out blog war, but, at the same time, I recognise that one of the primary duties of eldership is to refute error.

Last week, I was taking part in a discussion on Roman Catholicism over at Everyday Mommy’s blog. [Oops, new blog: SolaMom] Here is my remark in its entirety: [The whole thread can be found here]

I think I see where we are talking past each other, and it comes down to this. Is Roman Catholicism a false church that teaches a different Jesus and a different Gospel and a different salvation, or is it just another Christian denomination?


If Roman Catholicism is just another denomination, then I don’t see any problem with iMonk, or anybody else linking to Roman Catholic resources. On my blog, I link to Christian sites that have different takes on baptism, ecclesiology, and eschatology; and yet they are my brothers and sisters in Christ.


But, if Roman Catholicism is a false church, teaching false doctrine, then I do see a problem with a Christian site linking to non-Christian resources. I would not link to Mormon, Jehovah’s Witnesses, or Buddhist sites, except as examples of error. I certainly would not promote them in any way.


So, in which category do I see the Roman Catholic Church?


As long as the Catholic Church denies sola scriptura, sola Christus, and sola fide, then they are not Christian. So, yeah, I guess I’ve got a problem with iMonk linking to Catholic resources.


If that seems overly blunt or harsh to you, I’m sorry. I love Catholics, and I would love to see them come out from under the authority of Rome, and submit to the authority of scripture. The church cannot save you, the Pope cannot save you, Ritual cannot save you, neither the saints nor Mary can save you. Only Jesus Christ can save you, and He does that by Grace through Faith. My prayers are not for Rome, they are for you, the good and faithful Catholic. May God, in His Grace and Mercy, open your eyes.

My comment was quoted by iMonk, at his blog, with the following remarks: [Whole thread is here]

It’s particularly ironic to me that the doctrine police play the sloppiest with the other guys doctrine. I’ve learned this by having my own arrogant know-it-all attitude toward Roman Catholicism corrected dozens and dozens of times (to the point of another kind of irony, but that’s another thread :-))

If you read a typical neo-Reformed, anti-Catholic tirade, you will hear item after item that is patently false.

Note the following from someone named after a small animal in the comment thread yesterday. (I know…I know…let it pass…)

"If Roman Catholicism is just another denomination, then I don’t see any problem with iMonk, or anybody else linking to Roman Catholic resources. On my blog, I link to Christian sites that have different takes on baptism, ecclesiology, and eschatology; and yet they are my brothers and sisters in Christ.

"But, if Roman Catholicism is a false church, teaching false doctrine, then I do see a problem with a Christian site linking to non-Christian resources. I would not link to Mormon, Jehovah’s Witnesses, or Buddhist sites, except as examples of error. I certainly would not promote them in any way.

"So, in which category do I see the Roman Catholic Church?

"As long as the Catholic Church denies sola scriptura, sola Christus, and sola fide, then they are not Christian. So, yeah, I guess I’ve got a problem with iMonk linking to Catholic resources

"If that seems overly blunt or harsh to you, I’m sorry. I love Catholics, and I would love to see them come out from under the authority of Rome, and submit to the authority of scripture. The church cannot save you, the Pope cannot save you, Ritual cannot save you, neither the saints nor Mary can save you. Only Jesus Christ can save you, and He does that by Grace through Faith."


Now how many outright untruths, non-truths and complete distortions are here? Is this the result of reading the CCC? Or asking RCs if this is what they, in fact, teach?

No, it’s the sloppy, toss off, anti-Catholic version of Catholic belief you can get from 50 anti-Catholic websites. It’s not careful. It’s not fair. It’s not accurate. 95% of the neo-Reformed themselves would take issue with some of it.

But what if Catholics tried this with Grace Evangelical Church? What if this level of slapdash misrepresentation is applied to Calvinism? Clear the roads and get the kids out of the streets. There’s a three alarm fire somewhere.

Fair is fair on both sides. Assuming you are right in your conclusions doesn’t mean you get to cheat in the process. Not wanting to do the hard work to know what’s actually believed is no excuse.

Big time irony.


Many of you will have quickly spotted the “he just doesn’t understand/he's misrepresenting” defense.

So, I wondered, just what did I say that was “patently false?” Just what “untruths, non-truths and complete distortions” did I make? I’ll admit, I’ve never been a Roman Catholic, and it’s been a long time since I’ve read the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and even longer since I’ve attended Roman Catholic services, but I’ve done both. And, while I’m no expert, I’m not exactly ignorant of the teachings of the Catholic Church.

So, does the Roman Catholic Church in fact deny sola scriptura, sola fide, and sola Christus?

I believe that it is easy to demonstrate that the Catholic Church does, in fact, deny these doctrines. And I intend to do exactly that in a series of posts, of which this is the introduction. Tomorrow, God willing, we’ll look at Roman Catholicism and sola scriptura.

post signature