Friday, June 19, 2009

The Squirrel Can Cook - Eggs Colonial

Breakfast is one of my favorite meals. It’s right up there in the top 3, alongside lunch and dinner. And there’s no doubt that breakfast is my favorite meal to eat out.

If you find a favorite breakfast place, enjoy it, savor it, treasure it. You don’t know how long you’ll have it. I had a favorite breakfast place, The Montana Pie Company. It’s an office building now; really, really sad.

The Montana Pie Company sold pies, of course, but they were also a full restaurant, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Their meatloaf was great, and their burgers were wonderful, but what they did best was breakfast. I wonder how many Saturday mornings I spent in one of their booths?

One of the best things they served for breakfast was called Eggs Colonial. Now, I don’t know if anybody ate Eggs Colonial back in colonial times in the United States, or any other countries’ colonies, either. Eggs Colonial isn’t fancy, it’s just tasty. And it’s quick and easy, too.

Our ingredients:

Eggs, 2 per person
Sliced ham
Bread of your choice
Cheese of your choice

The Montana Pie Company’s Eggs Colonial was a toasted English muffin, topped with shaved ham, scrambled eggs, and cheese sauce. That’s it. How simple can that be, huh? It’s an open-faced Egg McMuffin!



Pictured here is a recent breakfast I fixed for Mrs. Squirrel and myself one Saturday morning. I lightly fried the ham and placed it on thick slices of toasted French bread, topped it with scrambled eggs, and American cheese. Just pop it in a 300 degree oven for a couple of minutes to melt the cheese and enjoy!

You can really play with this one, the variations are almost endless.

The Squirrel shall not live by bread alone!


post signature