Friday, June 26, 2009

The Squirrel Can Cook - Chili-Cheese Omelette

Last week, I introduced you to the Montana Pie Company, which, until it closed, was my favorite place to eat breakfast. One of my favorites from their menu was the Chili-cheese omelette.

I was an adult before I'd ever heard of this Western favorite, and, truly, it didn't sound appetizing to me at all! Not that I didn't like chili, but I'd certainly never considered chili to be breakfast food in any way. But, with the urging of some friends, I tried a chili-cheese omelette one day, and I was sold. Just a great combination of flavors!

While I will eat a chili-cheese omelette for breakfast, I admit that I fix this more often at the end of the day, rather then the beginning. It makes a great dinner. And I usually make one big omelette for Mrs. Squirrel and I to share.

This will take a largest (10-12 inch) non-stick skillet & a microwavable dish to heat the chili in.

Our ingredients:

6 eggs
1/2 cup of cold water
4-5 oz of cheddar cheese, sliced thin, or grated
1 16oz can of chili with beans, or 1 pint of leftover homemade chili
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
1 pat of butter


Heat the chili through in a sauce pan or in the microwave.

Over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil in the skillet. Whisk the eggs and the water together until slightly frothy. (Don't forget to remove the eggs from the shells, this is very important.) Use water instead of milk, as it is the bubbles formed as the water boils during cooking that will make your omelette light and fluffy.

As soon as the pan is hot, add the butter to the oil. when the butter is melted and starting to brown a little, add the eggs and reduce heat to medium. Lift the edges of omelet and let uncooked eggs run under cooked edges. When the omelet is almost set, place the cheese on the half of the omelette opposite from the handle of the pan. Spoon the chili on top of the cheese, keeping everything on the one side. Add a little more cheese on top of the chili.



There is no need to fold the omelette in the pan, because then you'd have to flip the omelette over, so it would cook evenly. We'll fold it as we plate.

When the eggs are set and the edges of your omelette have become a light brown, it's ready to plate. Hold the pan over the plate, and tilt it so that the omelette begins to slide off, loaded half first. Slide it onto your plate, lifting the pan, and folding the omelette as it slides off. Once you get the hang of this, it's the easiest thing in the world to do.



I like to save a little chili, just a couple of spoonfuls, to top the omelette with after plating. Serve with hash browns and toast. Enjoy!

The Squirrel shall not live by bread alone!

post signature