Monday, June 15, 2009

Interesting Times

I’ve heard that “May you live in interesting times,” is an ancient Chinese curse. Whatever the true origin of the phrase, we are living in interesting times, to be sure.



The “elections” in Iran last week resulted in Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, and his radical anti-Israel views and his quest for atomic weaponry, retaining power. It seems fairly obvious that the election’s outcome was controlled by the real power in Iran, the Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khomeini, who shares Ahmadinejad’s radical views.

Joel Rosenberg, who watches these things very carefully, says that the result of the Iranian elections “means a major, cataclysmic war is the most likely outcome…” (Read his views here.)

Is Rosenberg right? Let’s see: 1) Ahmadinejad has repeatedly called for Israel’s destruction; 2) Ahmadinejad is seeking to make Iran a nuclear power, and the only response likely from “the International Community” are yet more “harshly worded letters”; 3) The United States, under our current leadership, is likely to just leave Israel out there alone, twisting in the wind. Hmm, it doesn’t look very good, does it? Interesting times, indeed.

And, if Iran does go after Israel, there are all those American troops, in Iraq, right between the two. If the balloon goes up, we won’t be able to stay out of this one, no matter what our president and his party may desire.

I, for one, will be watching developments very closely indeed.

post signature

7 comments:

Jennie said...

'Interesting' is an understatement; 'surreal' is more how I feel about things lately. It gives me a jolt every time I realize we may be living in the times that all the ages of believers have longed for; we may live to see Christ return before our eyes, or we may die for Him and come back with Him to wreak vengeance on those that hate Him. I'm glad He 'told us ahead of time' what to look for, or we'd be clueless:)
By the way, thanks for putting 'Drowning in the Tiber' in your sidebar; it was very timely for me. I needed the encouragement and affirmation that what I've been learning about the RCC is correct.

Rabbit said...

Good post, Squirrel. I'm with Jennie; things are just surreal, and seem to be getting more so on an ever-faster timetable.

All the more reason to be bold in proclaiming the Gospel of Christ.

The Squirrel said...

Jennie:

I passed your remarks about Drowning in the Tiber on to Pastor Bartolucci. He was thrilled that you found it useful, and asked me to tell you that part 7 will be posted soon.

~Squirrel

Jennie said...

Neat! Well, if you get a chance, tell him I'm another former Roman Catholic (been mainly Baptist for 35 years), born in the 60's, half Italian-American, who temporarily dumped the man who is now my husband not long after we had first started dating, so he and I and Francis Beckwith have alot in common. I've been seriously researching Roman Catholicism for almost a year (and off and on before that) because it bothered me so much when my brother reverted to RC and his wife and children converted. What I've learned has confirmed to me even more that the RCC is teaching a false gospel.

The Squirrel said...

"What I've learned has confirmed to me even more that the RCC is teaching a false gospel.
"

I intend to renew my discussion of Rome here very soon.

~Squirrel

The Squirrel said...

Jennie (and everybody else)

Drowning in the Tiber part 7 is now up at the Clarkson Church sermon archive! Pastor Bartolucci preached it this morning.

~Squirrel

Jennie said...

Thanks, Squirrel. I listened to part 7 last night and this morning. It's a good defense of Sola Scriptura.
I'm looking forward to your posts on Rome.