Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Squirrel's Nut Cache - 6/10/2010


The Nut Cache - a collection of recent things I found interesting, or amusing, or nutworthy.

When the U.S. Marshals Service took Ruben Hernandez into custody, they didn't know what they were dealing with, until a search of his home found a voodoo shrine, with three voodoo dolls that had the names of the two police detectives and the LA County deputy district attorney who was the prosecutor in Hernandez's upcoming fraud trial. The dolls were also inscribed with his case number. The voodoo didn't work. Hernandez got 12 years...

I've never bought into the whole medical marijuana excuse: "Well, brah, it's all about the medical care and helping ease the suffering of your fellow dudes, y'know?" Let's face it, it's a back door excuse to legalize an intoxicant. Ever since medical marijuana got voter approval in Montana, I've seen shops opening up all over town. This is not the way I wanted my state presented by the national news media!

We've all faced the almost nonstop barrage of "Green" messages; recycle those recyclables, buy high-mileage hybrid vehicles and drive only when necessary, switch to compact florescent light bulbs, use water-saving shower heads and faucet aerators and 1.6 gpf toilets (that need to be flushed 2 or 3 times). Encouragement to "save the planet" are unavoidable. Well, take those messages to heart at your own risk. Back in March, I saw this story from LA, and this week I came upon this from Minneapolis. It just doesn't pay to be green, it seems...

Canadians are weird. Some would even say that they're out of this world. At least the town of Vulcan, Alberta sure is. The mayor wears a Starfleet uniform and proprietor of the local bakery wears pointed ears. Recently, Spock himself held his retirement party there. I understand, I really do. I've been to Vulcan, Alberta, and there's really not all that much to get excited about, so why not Star Trek?

A lot of people suffer from aerophobia, the fear of flying. For many sufferers the fear is manageable, but for some the level of anxiety is so great that it prevents them from travelling by air at all. Since it is common knowledge that flying is much safer then travel by automobile, the fear is an irrational fear. Well, it probably doesn't help to diminish an irrational fear when you see a statue of Anubis, the Egyptian god of the dead, outside the airport. No, not an airport in Egypt, an airport in Colorado. Face it, nothing says "Denver" like an idol to an Egyptian god...

About a month ago, in the May 6th Nut Cache, we had the story of a lovely former public loo that had been converted into a small home overlooking the English Channel. Now it seems that someone at the Boston Parks and Recreation Commission wants to convert some public restrooms into restaurants. I'm wondering if the folks at the Boston Parks and Recreation Commission read the Nut Cache!

When my buddy wonky73 (yeah, the guy with the cat) first gave me the link to this story, I just knew it had to be a hoax. It had to be! But, after a bit of research, it nøw løøks like the støry might just be true. I think it's cøøl that he was able tø draw the møøse øff and prøtect her, but, I must ask, did the møøse bite his sister? (Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...)

And the Nuttiness gøes øn and øn...

post signature



Correction: The møøse story was given to me, not by wonky73, but by my buddy Lockheed. I don't know if Lockheed has a cat... or a møøse...)