Friday, June 11, 2010

The Squirrel Can Cook – Italian Sausage and Peppers

Regular readers will notice right off that the pictures accompanying today’s recipe were not taken in my squirrelly little kitchen. That is because I cooked this in my Mom’s kitchen. The reason I cooked this is my Mom’s kitchen is because Mrs. Squirrel is allergic to peppers. I don’t cook things with peppers for her. But I like peppers, and my Mom likes peppers, and I spend a couple days each week at my Mom’s, taking care of her lawn and helping her do stuff that needs doin’.

I also cook sometimes.

Today, we’re having Italian Sausage and Peppers. Our ingredients are:
1 pound Italian sausage links
2 large bell peppers
1 white onion
4 Roma tomatoes
4 cloves of garlic
4 servings of Linguini


Cut the peppers and onion thin slices. Also, cook the Linguini according to the package directions.


Boil the sausages for 8 minutes and allow to cool. Remove the casing and slice into ¼ inch thick rounds. In a cast iron skillet, cook the rounds over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side until nicely browned.


Next, let’s get our sauce going. Remove the skin from the tomatoes (I find that a sharp potato peeler works best, but a good paring knife will do) and mash them up really well in a bowl (I used my hands.) Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small saucepan. Crush the garlic cloves and sauté in the olive oil for a few minutes, and then add the tomatoes. Bring to a soft boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes.


In your cast iron skillet, over medium-high heat, sauté the pepper and onion until it is nice and tender.


Then add the sausage and continue cooking until the sausage is heated through. Now add the sauce that you’ve had simmering quietly off to the side, there. Toss everything together until the sauce coats everything.


Serve over the Linguini. Serves 4. Enjoy!


The Squirrel shall not live by bread NUTS alone!

post signature