Friday, April 9, 2010

The Squirrel Can Cook - French Toast

As I said before, breakfast is one of my favorite meals. I like all different types of breakfast food, from the classic scrambled eggs with bacon and toast to coffee cakes and pastries. According to Wikipedia, at least as far back as the Middle Ages, Europeans were soaking bread in eggs and frying it up. We call this "French toast" and French toast has always been a favorite around our house.

One really nice thing about French toast is that it is fast and flexible. Once you know the secrets of French toast, it is easy to adjust the recipe to feed any number of people.

Our ingredients are:
Eggs
Milk
Vanilla extract
Cinnamon
Sliced bread (You’ll see that I’m using the same thick sliced French bread that I used in the sandwiches we cooked recently (here & here.) French toast is the real reason I buy this bread. Now you know.)


The secret is in knowing the proper proportions of ingredients, once you know the ratio, it’s easy to adjust the batch to the size of the crowd, and it all based on the number of eggs. Here’s my recipe: ¼ cup of milk, 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract, & a pinch of cinnamon per egg. A 2-egg mixture does about 4 regular sandwich-style slices of bread (when it’s just Mrs. Squirrel and I, I usually make a 3-egg recipe. With the thick-sliced French bread, I make a 4-egg recipe.) Some people add sugar, but you’re going to be putting maple syrup on the finished product, so there’s no need to add sugar to the egg mixture.

Preheat your griddle to about 375 degrees.

Crack your eggs into a large mixing bowl & beat well with a fork or wire whisk. Scramble them really well. Then whisk in the cinnamon and vanilla extract. Now, while still whisking, slowly pour in the milk & whisk it until slightly frothy.


Pour a portion of the egg mixture into a wide, flat bowl. (A pie pan or cake pan works well, also.) Soak both sides of each slice of bread for at least 10 seconds to allow the bread to absorb a good amount of the egg mixture, then arrange on the griddle. I can get 6 slices of regular sandwich bread on my griddle, but only 4 slices of the big French bread.


Cook for approximately 4 minutes on each side, top with butter and syrup. Enjoy!


The Squirrel shall not live by bread NUTS alone!

post signature