Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Squirrel's Nut Cache - 7/30/09

The Nut Cache - a collection of recent things I found interesting, or amusing, or nutworthy.

"Oh, I wish I was an Oscar Meyer wiener..." Well, not in Hawaii, it seems. Some environmentalist group has filed an official complaint that the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile violates the state's advertising and billboard laws. Oh, please! These people just do not have enough to worry about at all! Good grief! It's the Wienermobile folks! It's an American Icon.

I had a discussion a few weeks ago with some folks about the fact that children are not born innocent. Here is a good example of the willfulness of a child. It seems that a 7-year old boy in Park City, Utah didn't want to go to church... so he stole the family car and led police on a car chase. Now, it is Utah, so chances are he was fleeing a cult and not a real church, but still...

The first of two Twitter stories - The British government has issued a 20-page report urging government agencies to use Twitter to keep subjects of the Crown informed of their nations doings. This isn't actually such a bad idea. I follow the NASA tweets because I like to keep up with the space program. Technology can be useful.

[h.t. Maty] I keep trying to tell you that squirrel's are smart. Well, it looks like scientists agree with me. Of course, looking at the undeniably atheistic bent of this website... I'm not sure I'm happy with the association, nor the unfair characterization of squirrels as thieves...

The rodent uprising hasn't abated, it seems. Something sure ticked this groundhog off! I would give this rodent the same advice I would give Professor Gates or anyone else who comes into contact with law enforcement; do what you are told and don't cause problems and make things worse.

The second Twitter story: Well, if you believe that prayers are magic, and that where the prayers are "postmarked" from is important, then here's a service for you. Your prayers can now be "tweeted" to the Western Wall in Jerusalem, so that, well, they'll get more attention from God? Bleh, bunch of high-tech pagans...

[h.t. Lockheed] When people began to push for "gay marriage" rights, those who opposed such unions warned that, if we allowed this, soon all bunch of different "weddings" would be demanded. And now, a Pennsylvania woman wants to marry a roller coaster... My question is, does this mean she gets free rides? Or does she have to pay to enter the park like everybody else?

That's the Nut Cache for this week! Stay Nutty!

post signature