Friday, July 24, 2009

The Squirrel Can Cook - Steak Frittata

A few days before, I had made Philly cheese-steaks for Mrs. Squirrel and I for dinner. The piece of steak was much larger then I needed for two sandwiches, but I cut it up and cooked it anyway. I knew I’d find something to do with it. The following Saturday morning, I did. I decided to fix a Steak Frittata for breakfast.

A frittata is a type of omlette, and can be fixed with all kinds of different ingredients. As I've said before, breakfast is one of my very favorite meals. Growing up, Dad used to fix a ham & cheese frittata at least once a month. He would make his with ham, cheese, onion, & green peppers. I recall him fixing a bacon frittata as one of the last meals we had together before he went into the hospital for the last time.


Our Ingredients:

6 eggs
1/2 cup of cheese, shredded (I used a “processed cheese food product” that is too soft to grate well, so I cubed it)
1/4 pound of steak, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces and cooked through
1 medium onion, diced
Some minced garlic (mince your own, or use from jar)
2 ounces of water
2 tablespoons of olive oil


Preheat your broiler. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and 2 oz of water, set aside.


Heat your cast iron skillet (you did buy one, right?) over medium-high heat, add oil, onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt, and sweat the onion until it is translucent, then stir in the steak and heat through. Then spread the mixture evenly through the pan. Add the eggs to the pan. DO NOT STIR! Add your cheese evenly throughout. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the egg mixture has set on the bottom and begins to set up on top.


Place the pan under the boiler for another 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned and fluffy. Remove from pan and cut into 4 servings. (Need to feed more people? No problem, just add eggs and cook a little longer for a thicker frittata.) Serve immediately. I served ours with hashbrowns (and a little extra cheese found its way onto the hashbrowns!) Enjoy!


The Squirrel shall not live by bread alone!

post signature