Thursday, February 26, 2009

Welcome! Both of you!


Welcome to the maiden post of A Squirrel in Babylon!

Long have I lurked around the blog-o-sphere, and I've sat at the feet of great and learned men. There are dozens of really good blogs out here! But, let's face it, there are also some real dogs. I don't expect that mine will be among the best, but I know I can do better than some.

So, why "a squirrel in Babylon?" Well, the name came from a comment by Libbie on this post at Dan Phillip's blog. The concept is simple; the musings of a Christian man living in a pagan culture. Let's face it, it is just as hard to live a godly life in America in the 21st century as it was for Daniel and his friends to live righteously in Babylon in the 5th century B.C. I'm going to comment on that, as well as other things that I just can't shut up about.

I'm just a blue-collar guy with a wife and a kid and a mortgage and a car payment. I'm not a professional writer, nor am I some credentialed academic. I think I've got something to say, you'll have to decide if what I've got to say is anything that you want to read.

Much of what I'll be writing about will be moral and Biblical in nature. I'm fairly random and eclectic, and am likely to post about politics, movies, news, education, history, hobbies or anything else that catches my attention. Like a squirrel, I'll get into just about anything that isn't protected by 12 gauge wire mesh. I'll probably post something 2 or 3 times a week. My life's too busy for daily postings.

I welcome comments and discussion, but I'm not looking for a fight. Keep 'em friendly and keep 'em clean. (Formal rules to come)
So, welcome! I'm looking forward to this. Mom always said that it was good to try new things.

~The Squirrel